Tipps for your Berlin weekend
Well, this weekend is packed with some huuge events, that encompass nearly the whole city. First off, there is Berlin Mural Fest, the biggest streetart festival in the last decade at least. More than a dozen giant murals have been completed in the last days, and the whole weekend is dedicated to celebrate creativity and have some drinks on one of the block parties. If you don’t want to explore them on your own, why not just join our official bike tours (English or German)
Theoretically we could just stop here, but it turns out, not everyone loves carneval – or art, so we have some additional suggestions for you to consider.
Party in Berlin
- Yes, after a while Electro-Swing is grating on everyone’s nerves, but until that happens it’s hard not to move your legs. The regular event at Franzz Club comes with the added incentive of an audience wholly indifferent towards other people’s dancing styles, so don’t be embarassed to shake it, like there’s no tomorrow.
- Watergate is celebrating the 5th anniversary of their event series „Worst Case“ with a line-up feturing Reinier Zonneveld, Sven Dohse, Tony Casanova and others.
- Electro label Maeve celebrates their compilation release at Funkhaus Nalepastraße on Saturday with sets by founders Mano Le Tough, Baikal and The Drifter.
- We Are Scientists will perform their new „Megaplex“ at Lido on Saturday. If you expect proper arena rock with some sprinkles of Funk added, you won’t be disappointed.
- Another band with a hard-to-describe genre-mix is Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I’ll try anyway; danceable, groovy, funky Soul-Prog-Rock, savvy? Saturday at Kesselhaus.
- Just beside Tresor, basically in the same structure is OHM a smaller club with a familial feeling, that seems perfect for a Sunday night hosted by Dutch Dekmantel Soundsystem.
- A nod back to the 70s is SO36’s monthly Roller Disco on Monday.
Arty in Berlin
- Pierre Boulez Concert hall and the Barenboim Said Academy have an open house on Sunday, with free concerts and guided tours through this latest addition to Berlin’s classical music infrastructure. Part of the program: concerts by a student orchestra, workshops and installations.
- Wanderlust is one of those German words, the english language doesn’t really have a good translation for, so it’s not that surprising it became a top-rated instagram hashtag as well as the battle cry for all romantics since Caspar David Friedrich painted his lonely wanderer above the hills of an idealized landscape. The whole idea to just walk around for walking’s sake seems normal to us, but 200 years ago it was a revolution. A new exhibition at Alte Nationalgalerie shows works by Friedrich himself, Renoir, Dix, Kirchner and others.
Others Things to do in Berlin
- We are not entirely sure what to expect at the Natural Hair & Lifestyle Festival except for glorious afros, but diversity and African music seem to be enough of a reason to check it out.
- Do you know where Margiana is? No? Turns out it was the home of a highly developed bronze age civilisation more than 4.000 years ago in Turkmenistan. A new exhibition at Neues Museum takes a closer look at this forgotten kingdom.